Dr Yishay Orr
Paediatric & Adult Cardiothaoracic Surgeon
Dr Yishay Orr is an Australian qualified and trained Cardiothoracic Surgeon with a focus on paediatric and children's surgery.
- Bachelor of Science (Med)
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)
- Honours Class I, The University of New South Wales 1999
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS), 2011
- Fellow in Paediatric Cardiac Surgery at The Children's Hospital at Westmead, Sydney, 2011-2
- Faculty Instructor in Congenital Heart Surgery at Texas Children's Hospital, Houston, Texas USA (2013-4)
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) University of New South Wales, 2008
- Thesis entitled "Circulating neutrophil activation and recruitment during the systemic inflammatory response to cardiac surgery with extracorporeal circulation"
Post Graduate Awards
- Australian Medical Association Doctor-in-training of the year award, 2011
- St Jude Award for outstanding presentation at Annual Cardiothoracic Training Session Melbourne, Mar 2008
- Edwards Lifesciences Travelling Scholarship, 2008
- School of Medical Sciences, The University of New South Wales PhD Prize 2007-8 for top-ranking Doctor of Philosophy Thesis (1,1,1 recommendation)
- Paper of the Month, School of Medical Sciences, The University of New South Wales, 2008. Manuscript title: Conformational activation of CD11b without shedding of L-selectin on circulating human neutrophils. Orr Y, Cartland S, Taylor JM, Bannon PG, Geczy C, Kritharides L
- Cardiac Society of Australia & New Zealand Ralph Reader Clinical Prize 2006
- University of NSW School of Medical Sciences Research Day Merck Sharp & Dohme Poster Award, Oct 2005. Poster title:
- Heparin selectively inhibits CD11b high affinity neo-epitope expression in vivo during coronary artery bypass surgery. Orr Y, Taylor JM, Bannon PG, Geczy C, Kritharides L
- NHMRC Medical and Dental Scholarship 2004-5
- Sir Roy McCaughey Surgical Research Scholarship, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons 2004-5
- Australasian Society of Cardiothoracic Surgeons Research Foundation Grant 2004
- Peter King Foundation Research Scholarship, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons 2003
- The Combined Teaching Hospitals Senior Staff Prize 1998
- The Sugerman Prize in Clinical Pathology 1996
- Member of World Society for Pediatric and Congenital Heart Surgery
- Member of International Society of Heart and Lung Transplantation
- Member of Australian and New Zealand Society of Cardiothoracic Surgeons
- VMO Cardiothoracic Surgeon at Westmead Hospital
- VMO Cardiothoracic Surgeon Sydney Children's Hospital Network based at both
- The Children's Hospital at Westmead
- Sydney Children's Hospital, Randwick
- VMO Cardiothoracic Transplant Surgeon at St Vincent's Hospital
- Westmead Private Hospital
- Sydney Adventist Hospital
- Norwest Hospital
Teaching & Clinical Audits
- Supervisor of Surgical Education and Training (Cardiothoracic Surgery) at The Children's Hospital at Westmead from 2015 onwards
- Senior Instructor for RACS Early Management of Severe Trauma (EMST) course (instructing from Jan 2005 to Jan 2013)
- Senior Instructor for RACS Care of the Critically Ill Surgical Patient (CCrISP) course (instructing from Jan 2005 to Jan 2013)
- Active First & Second line Assessor for Collaborating Hospitals Audit of Surgical Mortality (CHASM)
- Active First & Second line Assessor for Victorian Audit of Surgical Mortality (VASM)
I am now affiliated with an additional humanitarian organization "Healing Little Hearts" and have traveled to India as part of their cardiac surgical teams since the beginning of 2019 and will continue to do so
Paediatric Cardiothoracic Surgeon for Open Heart International (OHI, www.ohi.org.au) from 2011 - ongoing. Countries worked:
- Papua New Guinea
Mechanical Circulatory support and transplant experience
- Involvement in institution of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) support and care of ECMO patients, Jan 2007 to present
- Clinical experience in mechanical circulatory assist device implantation & management (pulsatile and continuous flow VADs & ECMO) from Jan 2007 to present
- Cardiothoracic training in heart & lung transplantation, Royal Perth Hospital & St Vincent's Hospital, Sydney, 2007-2010
- Participating in long distance ECMO retrievals with the NSW ECMO retrieval service, 2009-10
Work History and Training
Post Graduate Work History
- Honorary VMO Cardiothoracic Surgeon Westmead Hospital Dec 2012 - Feb 2013 appointment
- VMO Cardiothoracic Transplant Surgeon at St Vincent's Hospital, Sydney from Jan 2011 – Jan 2013
- Advanced Surgical Training (AST)
- Advanced Cardiothoracic Training & Transplant registrar, St Vincent's Hospital, Sydney 2009-11
- Advanced Cardiothoracic Training & Cardiothoracic surgery registrar, Royal Perth and Princess Margaret Children's Hospital, Perth 2007 - 09
- General Surgery registrar Liverpool Hospital, Sydney (Head and neck, breast, endocrine), Vascular Surgery registrar, Wollongong Hospital, 2006
- PhD by research thesis at Centre for Vascular Research, School of Medical Sciences, The University of New South Wales, Jan 2003 - 06
- year 1 (accredited research year)
- Cardiothoracic surgical first assisting (Dr Hugh Wolfenden) at Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney NSW Australia
- Cardiothoracic Surgical Registrar at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney Australia, (un accredited) Jul 2002 to Jan 2003
- Surgical Registrar at Liverpool Hospital (un-accredited), Jan 2001 to Jul 2002
- Colorectal and general surgery 6 months
- Cardiothoracic surgery 12 months
- Resident Medical Officer at Liverpool Hospital, Jan 2000 to Jan 2001
- Intern at Liverpool Hospital, Sydney Australia, Jan 1999 to Jan 2000
- Complete atrioventricular septal defect repair in Australia: Results over 25 years. Fong LS, Betts K, Bell D, Konstantinov IE, Nicholson IA, Winlaw DS, Orr Y; Australian CAVSD Study Group. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2019 Aug 30. pii: S0022-5223(19)31692-7. doi: 10.1016/j.jtcvs.2019.08.005. [Epub ahead of print]
- Modified-Single Patch vs Double Patch Repair of Complete Atrioventricular Septal Defects. Fong LS, Betts K, Kannekanti R, Ayer J, Winlaw DS, Orr Y. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2019 Jul 12. pii: S1043-0679(19)30187-X. doi: 10.1053/j.semtcvs.2019.07.004. [Epub ahead of print]
- Patient-Specific Approach to Mitral Valve Replacement in Infants Weighing 10 kilograms or less. Mater K, Ayer J, Nicholson I, Winlaw D, Chard R, Orr Y. World J Pediatr Congenit Heart Surg. 2019 May;10(3):304-312. doi: 10.1177/2150135119837200.
- Emergency Ross Procedure for Pediatric Aortic Valve Myxofibrosarcoma. Krishna MR, Marathe SP, Maghsoudi A, McCowage G, Sherwood MC, Orr Y. Ann Thorac Surg. 2019 Mar;107(3):e183-e185. doi: 10.1016/j.athoracsur.2018.07.060. Epub 2018 Sep 25.
- Is the modified single-patch repair superior to the double-patch repair of complete atrioventricular septal defects? Fong LS, Winlaw DS, Orr Y. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2019 Mar 1;28(3):427-431. doi: 10.1093/icvts/ivy261. Review.
- Do novel anticoagulant agents increase the risk of perioperative complications during implantable cardiac rhythm device insertion? Davies RA, Perera NK, Orr Y. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2017 Jan;24(1):126-128. doi: 10.1093/icvts/ivw282. Epub 2016 Sep 5. Review.
- Orr Y, Taylor JM, Bannon PG, Geczy C, Kritharides L. Circulating CD10-/CD16low neutrophils provide a quantitative index of active bone marrow neutrophil release. British Journal of Haematology 2005; 131(4): 508-519
- Orr Y, Wilson DP, Taylor JM, Bannon PG, Geczy C, Davenport MP, Kritharides L. A kinetic model of bone marrow neutrophil production which characterizes late phenotypic maturation. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 2007; Apr; 292(4): R1707-16; first published 2006 Dec 21; [Epub ahead of print]
- Orr Y, Cartland S, Taylor JM, Bannon PG, Geczy C, Kritharides L. Conformational activation of CD11b without shedding of L-selectin on circulating human neutrophils. Journal of Leukocyte Biology Nov 2007; 82(5): 1115-25; first published 2007 Aug 3; [Epub ahead of print]
- Orr Y, Leclair K, Jacobe S, Badawi N, Nicholson IA, Chard RB, Sholler GF, Winlaw DS. Early outcomes from a new regional programme for the surgical management of hypoplastic left heart syndrome. Australia and NZ Journal of Surgery 2015 Jun; 85(6): 466-71. doi: 10.1111/ans.12103. Epub 2013 Feb 19
- Watson AJ, Gao L, Sun L, Tsun J, Doyle A, Faddy SC, Jabbour A, Orr Y, Dhital K, Hicks M, Jansz PC, Macdonald PS. Enhanced Preservation of Pig Cardiac Allografts by Combining Erythropoietin with Glyceryl Trinitrate and Zoniporide. American Journal of Transplantation 2013 Jul;13(7):1676-87. doi: 10.1111/ajt.12249. Epub 2013 May 13
- Orr Y, Jeewa A, McGarry M, McKenzie ED, Adachi I. Upsizing of a Berlin Heart Excor® paediatric LVAD to achieve adequate flow requirement. Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation 2013 Aug; 32(8): 845-6. doi: 10.1016/ j.healun.2013.05.008. Epub 2013 May 31
- Shah KB, Kwakkel-van Erp JM, Migliore C, Orr Y, Corris PA, Glanville AR, Slaughter MS, West LJ, Mehra MR. Scientific progress in heart and lung failure, mechanical circulatory support, and transplantation: Highlights from the Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation. Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation 2014 Mar; 33(3): 223-8. doi: 10.1016/j.healun.2013.11.011. Epub 2013 Dec 4.
- Orr Y, Chard RB. Tailored strategies for staged management of complex congenital cardiac lesions. Annals of Thoracic Surgery 2014 April; 97(4): 1436– doi: 10.1016/j.athoracsur.2013.06.108.
- Orr Y. Overview of Paediatric Heart-Lung Transplantation: A global perspective. Journal of Thoracic Disease 2014 Aug; 6(8): 1159-63. doi: 10.3978/j.issn.2072-1439.2014.07.25
- Guzman-Pruneda FA, Orr Y, Trost JG, Zhang W, Das S, Melicoff E, Maddox J, Nugent M, Mery CM, Adachi I, Schecter MG, Mallory GB, Morales DL, Heinle JS, McKenzie ED. Bronchial Artery Revascularization and En Bloc Lung Transplant in Children. Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation. 2015 Sep 3. pii: S1053-2498(15)01385-6. doi: 10.1016/j.healun.2015.08.010. [Epub ahead of print]
- Fonoudi H, Ansari H, Abbasalizadeh S, Larijani MR, Kiani S, Hashemizadeh S, Zarchi AS, Bosman A, Blue GM, Pahlavan S, Perry M, Orr Y, Mayorchak Y, Vandenberg J, Talkhabi M, Winlaw DS, Harvey RP, Aghdami N, Baharvand H. A Universal and Robust Integrated Platform for the Scalable Production of Human Cardiomyocytes from Pluripotent Stem Cells. Stem Cells Translational Medicine. 2015 Oct 28. pii: sctm.2014-0275. [Epub ahead of print]
- Brown K, Dunne B, Festa M, La Hei E, Karpelowsky J, Dando H, Orr Y. Successful 2,000-Kilometer International Transfer of an Infant Receiving Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation for Severe Respiratory Failure. Annals of Thoracic Surgery 2016 Aug; 102(2): e131-3. doi: 10.1016/j.athoracsur.2016.01.037.
- Davies RA, Bandara TD, Perera NK, Orr Y. Do rapid deployment aortic valves improve outcomes compared with surgical aortic valve replacement? Interactive Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery. 2016 Jul 1. pii: ivw226. [Epub ahead of print]
- Qian P, Orr Y, Davis L. An Unusual Cause of Localised ST Elevation following Insertion of a Permanent Pacemaker. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 2016 Apr 2. pii: S1443-9506(16)30036-1. doi: 10.1016/j.hlc.2016.02.017. [Epub ahead of print]
- Annual Scientific meeting of the Australasian Society of Cardiothoracic Surgeons, Noosa October 2002: Transthoracic Impedance and Cardiac Surgery: the implications for defibrillation. Orr Y, Penney D, Bannon P and Parr M.
- Annual Scientific meeting of the Australasian Society of Cardiothoracic Surgeons, Noosa 22nd-24th October, 2004: Bone marrow neutrophil release in response to cardiothoracic surgical trauma in humans. Orr Y, Taylor JM, Bannon PG, Geczy C, Kritharides L.
- Surgical Research Society of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons Annual Scientific Meeting 14th May 2006: Re-evaluation of the extent of neutrophil activation associated with cardiac surgery. Orr Y, Taylor JM, Bannon PG, Geczy C, Kritharides L.
- Finalist in Ralph Reader Prize Clinical Category; Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand (CSANZ) Annual Scientific Meeting 5th August, 2006: Conformational activation of neutrophil CD11b without L-selectin shedding – a novel pro-adhesive neutrophil phenotype identified during coronary artery bypass surgery. Orr Y, Taylor JM, Bannon PG, Geczy C, Kritharides L.
- Annual Scientific meeting of the Australasian Society of Cardiothoracic Surgeons, Cairns 27th -29th October, 2007: Differential systemic chemokine release distinguishes the acute inflammatory response to coronary artery bypass surgery. Orr Y, Taylor JM, Bannon PG, Geczy C, Kritharides L.
- Invited speaker: Perfusion Downunder Uluru, Australia October 2012: "ECMO and VAD: A bridge to transplantation"
- Invited speaker: International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation (ISHLT) Montreal, Canada April 2013: "The year in a capsule: JHLT at ISHLT: Highlights of issues related to children"
- Invited speaker: Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand (CSANZ) 2015 Melbourne, Australia August 2015: "The NSW Paediatric Heartware experience"
- The XXth Congress of the International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis 6-12th August 2005. Sydney, Australia. P1146, Vascular Biology; Adhesion Receptors. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis 2005; Vol 3, Suppl. 1: P1146: Heparin selectively inhibits CD11b high affinity neo-epitope expression in vivo during coronary artery bypass surgery. Orr Y, Taylor JM, Bannon PG, Geczy C, Kritharides L
- 7th World Congress on Inflammation: Inflammation 2005, the Key to Much Pathology. 20-24th August 2005. Melbourne, Australia:
- Inflammation Research Aug 2005; 54 (Suppl. 2): S152: Monocyte chemokine release during the acute inflammatory response to coronary artery bypass surgery. Orr Y, Taylor JM, Bannon PG, Geczy C, Kritharides L
- Inflammation Research Aug 2005; 54 (Suppl. 2): S131: Bone marrow neutrophil mobilization in response to rewarming and reperfusion following cardiac surgery. Orr Y, Taylor JM, Bannon PG, Geczy C, Kritharides L
- National Heart Foundation Annual Scientific Meeting March 2006. Neutrophil activation and recruitment from the bone marrow are differentially regulated by operative stimuli during extracorporeal circulation. Orr Y, Taylor JM, Bannon PG, Geczy C, Kritharides L
- Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand (CSANZ) Annual Scientific Meeting 4-6th August, 2006. Cardiac surgery abbreviates post-mitotic maturation of neutrophils during stimulation of bone marrow neutrophil release. Orr Y, Wilson DP, Taylor JM, Bannon PG, Geczy C, Davenport MP, Kritharides L
- 5th World Congress of Paediatric Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery Cairns, QLD 21-26 June 2009. Right ventricular outflow tract reconstruction using the Freestyle porcine aortic root stentless bioprosthesis in adult and paediatric patients. Orr Y, Bullock A, Andrews DR.
- International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation, Prague, Czech Republic April 2012. 100% 3-Year survival after extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) bridge to lung transplantation. Connellan M, Orr Y, Pye R, Granger E, Dhital K, Soto C, Malouf MA, Spratt P, Glanville AR & Jansz P
- International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation, San Diego, California, USA 2014. Technique for Pediatric En Bloc Lung Transplantation with Bronchial Artery Revascularization. Orr Y, Mery C, Adachi I, Heinle JS & McKenzie ED
- International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation, San Diego, California, USA 2014. Outcome of Pediatric Heart Transplantation Has Continued to Improve Over the Last Three Decades: Impact of Mechanical Circulatory Support. Adachi I, Guzman-Pruneda F, Heinle JS, McKenzie ED, Mery CM, Orr Y, Jeewa A, Cabrera AG, Price JF, Denfield SW, Dreyer WJ, Fraser CD
- International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation, San Diego, California, USA 2014. Awake Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation as a Bridge to Lung Transplant in a Toddler. A Case Report. Gazzaneo MC, Portillo E, Mallory G, Orr Y, Heinle JS, McKenzie ED, Nugent M
Level 1, Children’s Hospital Medical Centre
Level 1, Hainsworth Street
Westmead NSW 2145
Phone: 02 9635 5325
Fax: 02 9635 5320